Monday, December 13, 2010

My Lewitzky Experience

Bella Lewitzky (1983)


Lewitzky's Pietas, 1971, with (standing) Sean Green, Nora Daniel Reynolds,
and Iris Pell


        The first time I heard about Bella Lewitzky was when the IU Contemporary Dance Program received a grant to restage Bella Lewitzky’s masterpiece “Suite Satie” and I was casted as an understudy for the piece. Since the audition, I have been falling in love with Bella Lewitzky’s choreography and the Lewitzky technique. At first, it was simply because I felt great doing her choreography and there seem to be a natural flow connecting all the movements. Moreover, Suite Satie is a piece with a very strong sense of community among the dancers that can be linked to Lewitzky’s experience with utopian societies and her political ideologies. During the rehearsal process, I noticed and deeply appreciate Lewitzky’s use of music with the piece. While the choreography works extremely well with the music (sometimes one note to one step), she did not let the music limit or overshadow her choreography.

The music for "Suite Satie" by composer Erik Satie

Lewitzky's "Suite Satie" beginning solo

        Furthermore, I have had the chance to work with Nora Daniel, Lewitzky’s daughter and also a member of her company for five years, while she spent a week in residence at IU teaching and coaching the cast of Suite Satie. From my interaction with her, I learned so much more about the Lewitzky technique such as the strong core initiation to almost all the movements. Personally, the focus on core initiation has helped me tremendously in my other technique classes and rehearsals. Another thing I really love about this piece is Bella’s sense of humor that she was able to add to the choreography. It is very delighting to see Lewitzky trying to make the audience laugh in the somewhat serious contemporary dance setting. With the love for Bella Lewitzky, my research has allowed me to learn more about Bella as a person, a mother, a dancer, a choreographer and teacher. With a better understanding of the Lewitzky technique and its background, I hope to see more works of Bella Lewitzky restaged and maybe one day become a Lewitzky dancer myself.

        The restaging of “Suite Satie” at IU will be performed on Jan. 14th, 15th, and 16th, 2011. Tickets could be purchased at the IU Auditorium Box Office.

6 comments:

  1. You are right about the flow of her movement. It fits right with the music. Not one part is awkward, too much, too little, etc. It works beautifully. I have never done her technique, but I am very intrigued by her choreography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about Bella Lewitzky's choreography having "a strong sense of community among the dancers". I think that's a great attribute to choreography because if the dancers are connected amongst each other then the audience will feel the connection and become more drawn in. I'm excited to see "Suite Satie" to witness firsthand if the choreography does have a sense of connection between the dancers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved my experience with Nora! Her technique class was challenging, but was refreshing! Bella’s style is very different from the way I move naturally. I really learned a lot about the style and technique from the two classes I took I really enjoyed viewing the video of “Suite Satie!” Seeing Indiana University’s Dance Department perform it is amazing! What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The class with Nora was very helpful and fun! I also like the comment that you said about Lewitzky's choreography creating a sense of community among the dancers. It is very inspiring. Nora said something equally inspiring in class when she was here in residence- She talked to us about never giving up in class even though we may have mastered a certain step, position, or combination, but to keep striving to make it better and more fully danced. I had heard of Lewitzky and the technique before, but only now am I really learning the interesting details about her and her choreography and becoming familiar with her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really enjoy this technique. Like you I hadn't ever heard of Bella Lewitzky before our program began staging "suite satie" which surprises me because now I hear about Lewitzky a lot in my studies. It seems that a lot of great artists have some kind of tie to this wonderful choreographer. I think Nora's class really helped me understand the technique a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you related your own personal experience to this choreographer. In your previous post about the company after her passing was truly moving to me. I have always wondered what happens after a large company falls due to the death of the leader. I love Lewitzky's style, I think it is absolutely beautiful, but appears challenging. I would love to be able to work with the technique at some point in my dancing career.

    ReplyDelete